Hey guys! A lot of you asked for a healthier version of the classic Atatef that we all love. And here’s the best Healthy Atayef recipe!
This recipe has the Atayef dough and a healthier version of the Ashta! It’s a twisted version of the classic Ashta and I already shared it in my Healthier Mafroukeh recipe. It’s the best part of any Arabic dessert if you ask me!
Atayef are usually eaten with sugar syrup (or ater) and I already shared how you can make it in the same mafroukeh recipe. But here I made the Ashta sweet enough so for me it doesn’t need any more sweetness but it’s up to you! And here’s a picture with sugar syrup dropping because I just love to shoot this type of images!
Servings: 30 pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar or dry sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp milk powder I used skimmed milk
- 2 cups warm water
For 2 cups healthy Ashta
- 6 slices white bread
- 1 cup milk powder
- 2 cups water
- 4 tbsp sugar or dry sweetener of choice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 2 tbsp crushed pistachios
- In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, yeast, sugar and milk.
- Add the warm water and whisk everything until smooth. Cover and let it rest for 20 mins.
- Heat a nonstick pan, pour around 2 tbsp batter for each atayef, bubbles with start to form, wait until it's dry on top and brown on the bottom. Repeat until no batter remains.When done, cover them with a clean towel so they don't dry out.
- Cut the toast edges then cut to squares.
- In a bowl, add the milk powder, cornstarch, sugar and water. Stir until no lumps remains.
- Place the milk mixture with the toasts in a saucepan on medium heat, keep stirring until thickened. Add the orange blossom water and stir until combined.
- Pour in a glass bowl, let cool to room temperature then cover and refrigerate until you want to serve.
- Fill each atayef with ashta and garnish with crushed pistachios!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Submit your review
Average rating: 0 reviews