Hello everyone! Yesterday I made this heavenly delicious Chocolate Bread! So chocolaty and fluffy I’m in love with!
This dough is adapted from www.biggerbolderbaking.com because honesty it’s my favorite website when it comes to bread and baking basics! The bread dough is so easy to make and it’s so versatile! I chose to make a braided chocolate loaf but you can easily get creative and make whatever you want sweet or savory!
I love making bread. It’s just something I’m always fascinated about and bread recipes are my favorite! So enjoy making this amazingly tasty and delicious bread because you’ll fall in love!
Dough (enough to make 2 loaves)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup nutella or melted chocolate of choice
- In a small bowl, stir together the lukewarm milk, sugar and yeast. Let it sit for 15 minutes until yeast activates. It will become foamy.
- In a big bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk the yogurt and the egg.
- When yeast is activated, add the yeast mixture and yogurt-egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix everything with your hand until it forms a loose, sticky dough. If the dough is too dry, add a little bit of milk or water. If it is too soft, add a little bit of flour.
- Gently knead the dough together until it forms a rough ball. Cover with cling wrap and a towel and let it proof for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, dough should have doubled in size. Cut in half, keep 1 half covered while working with the other half.
- Roll using a rolling pin to a rectangle. Spread the chocolate all over the rectangle leaving around 2 cm from the edges.
- Roll the dough into a tight log. Carefully slice down the center of the log using a serrated knife.
- You should be left with 2 parts of dough. Now pinch the 2 top parts together, then start twisting them around each other until you get to the bottom. Pinch the bottom and top of the twisted log together to secure the loaf.
- Grease a loaf tin with vegetable oil and lift your braided loaf into the center of the tin. Cover and let it proof for 45 mins to 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and bake the loaf for 20-25 mins until golden brown.Optional: Brush the bread with egg wash using a brush BEFORE baking.
- Allow to cool before slicing and enjoooy! Better served hot.
Submit your review