Dough (maamoul dough)
- 500 g fine semolina (farkha)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp mahlab
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 250 g butter melted
- 2-3 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1/4 cup rose water
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 small egg
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- In a bowl, mix together the semolina, sugar, mahlab, nutmeg and salt. Add the melted butter and mix everything with your hand until the semolina absorbs the butter and becomes like wet sand. Cover and let it rest for at least 2 hours. NB: it's just crumbles and this stage not a dough.
- After 2 hours, add the rose and orange blossom water and mix again with your hand until a dough forms. If dough is not coming together, add a bit more of the rose and/or orange blossom water until it does.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease a 20 cm tarte pan and cupcakes pan with a bit of oil. Divide the dough between the tarte and 6 cupcakes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-30 mins (both) or until edges start to brown. Remove and let cool completely before adding the filling.
- Place all pastry cream ingredients in a saucepan on medium heat. Keep stirring everything until thick. Remove from the heat and pour over the chilled tarte and cupcakes.
- Decorate with chocolate and colored white chocolate!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!