Servings: 12 people
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar or dry sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
Chocolate sauce (makes enough to drizzle on 2 cakes)
- 2 cups chopped chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp light butter
- First, make the chocolate sauce because it needs to be refrigerated. In a microwave safe mug, mix the milk with the butter together. Microwave until butter is melted (around 30 secs). Pour the hot milk over the chopped chocolate. Whisk until chocolate is melted. Refrigerate until a bit firmer but still pourable (about 1 hour).
- To make the cake, first preheat your oven to 180°C and grease a 20 cm cake pan wit a bit of oil.
- Mix 1 tsp white vinegar with 1 cup milk. Set aside for few mins to curdle. Now you have buttermilk.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda and vanilla together.
- Using your hand or stand mixer, add while beating, the eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Finally, add the 1 cup hot water and mix the batter again. Batter is liquid but that's totally fine.
- Pour the cake in the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 mins until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool before drizzling the chocolate sauce!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!